Author Topic: Oxidation?  (Read 521 times)

combat32

• Administrator
  • Brewmaster

Oxidation?
« on: October 20, 2021, 01:02:31 AM »
how many of you have brewed a beer and had it get oxidized?
I tried my first attempt at the SJ Porr challenge with my NEIPA 2 which turned out great, however the beers I shipped all got negative reviews, I watched a video of a guy trying it and the color was way off looked brownish instead of yellow. he said the aroma was grapefruit but could smell cardboard. the flavor he said was cardboard and very bitter. I was devastated, then i got the results back and everyone said basically the same thing.
mean while I had atleast two 12 packs left and they all were bright yellow and grapfruity bombs.
I guess during the shipping in August heat and shaking must of ruined them, lesson learned I wont be entering any NEIPA's in a mail in competition again. even the beers I tried were way under hopped and under carbed.
I also treid a NEIPA with Viking Malt 2 row and it was darker then regular Briess 2 row kind a made the beer look brownish. I have already posted how i try and reduce O2 getting into my beers, by purging kegs by filling with sanitizer then pushing out with Co2, then  gas out to bung and transferring to keg. these have helped alot atleast in my head.
what do you guys do to reduce O2?
Keg 1- Red Dog IPA
Keg 2- coconut brown
Keg 3- Peach Sour
Keg 4- Neveu Saison
Keg 5- ESB
Keg 6-
Keg 7- Curieux Dog
FV1- 
FV2- 
Planning-

Daves Ale

• Administrator
  • Brewmaster

Re: Oxidation?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 08:46:59 AM »
I never really had a problem with oxygen in the passed but I seem to be recently having problems, I am finding that my 2nd beer still not right, it's only coopers kit so far but they is obvious differences, I purchased the Coopers DIY kit and starting to regret it, the kits come with 30 new 750ml Pet bottles, they never been used before and what Im finding is ale in PET bottles are tasting off vs same beer in glass bottles I've reused are fine, such a big difference, PET Bottles getting binned.

Also I'm starting to regret this Coopers fermenter, I like the way you can see in but I don't like the way that the lid does not seal, from experience oxygen is bigger bubbles vs Co2 and am seeing this on top of my wort, normally Co2 produce lots of small bubbles, way i understand Co2 is heavier than oxygen so you get this lair of Co2 on top but now I'm not so convinced I found this statement online~

"CO2 has slightly more mass than O2. The molecular weight of CO2 is 44 grams per mole, while the molecular weight of oxygen is 32 grams per mole. Although CO2 is heavier than O2, the gases do not separate into layers in the atmosphere. Convection and diffusion keep the various atmospheric gases mixed"

One way to reduce the oxygen would be to bottle the beers from the fermenter for the competition, by adding carbonation sugars, you would get yeast in the bottom of the bottles, this is my theory when I bottle I add the priming sugar first then fill bottle with finish wort this creates a little bit of co2 gas pushing out some oxygen that's in the neck of the bottle, wait around 1 min then I cap bottle, then I would move bottle up and down twice or three times to mix, it's only my theory idea to mix in the remaining oxygen back into the beer so the yeast can use it, once the beer is fully carbonated they should be no oxygen left.

Take alook at my wort does that look normal or does it look like they some oxygen bubbles there
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 08:51:43 AM by Daves Ale »
I'm looking for forum suggestions & ideas, please message me if you have any?  17

JIGSAW

• Assistant Brewer

• Personal Text
    BIAB Brewer
    • COMPUTEK
Re: Oxidation?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 07:34:12 AM »
Look into Ascorbic Acid for your NEIPA's

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!