Author Topic: Leave no sugars behind !  (Read 536 times)

Black Dog Brewery

• Brewer

Leave no sugars behind !
« on: October 19, 2021, 11:02:24 PM »
It was such a beautiful day outside on Saturday to brew, but unfortunately I really didn't have a lot of ingredients on hand for a last minute brew day.  Plus it really sucks that the 2 local homebrew shops by me didn't survive the Covid economy.

The good news was that I was able to use BeerSmith to cut a 5 gallon recipe of West Coast IPA in half, but I decided in advance to keep sparging until the runnings got down to 1.010.  Might as well get every last drop of wort out of the brew day.

I knew I couldn't hit the OG of the recipe, but it made the brew day worth while even though the brew was going to turn out as a sessional beer.

I lost about 20 gravity points, but I was able to get an extra half gallon into the fermenter.  The ABV should end up somewhere around 4.5%.

Not bad sparging all the way down to nearly 1.010 leaving no sugars left in the mash.  It was a fun day, and I'll be happy with the outcome considering it was thrown together last minute using grains that were laying around.

Cheers & 17,

Jim,
New York

combat32

• Administrator
  • Brewmaster

Re: Leave no sugars behind !
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 12:17:56 AM »
sounds like a good day.  My LHBS moved to an hour away >:( so I have to go to my other which is about 30min away. Makes me have to plan the next few brewdays in advanced.
keep us posted on how it turns out
Keg 1- Red Dog IPA
Keg 2- coconut brown
Keg 3- Peach Sour
Keg 4- Neveu Saison
Keg 5- ESB
Keg 6-
Keg 7- Curieux Dog
FV1- 
FV2- 
Planning-

Daves Ale

• Administrator
  • Brewmaster

Re: Leave no sugars behind !
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 07:42:03 AM »
Sounds like you had some fun and success on the brew day, 4.5% that's not bad, that really sucks about the homebrew shops not making it through the Covid economy.
I'm looking for forum suggestions & ideas, please message me if you have any?  17