Author Topic: Dumb newbie needing advice.  (Read 1972 times)

Gene

Dumb newbie needing advice.
« on: September 19, 2017, 07:18:19 AM »
Greetings, I was Hoping for some advice. I fermented some apple juice, with brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. I used a Fleischman's bakers yeast. Trying to make a holiday cider. It fermented for 7 days. I'm new so I had to use a ballon as my airlock (I'm a broke kind of guy) and it was placed in a room that's always about 80 degrees. OK finally my question. I tasted the mixture after a week and it had a very hard kick to it. So I added more juice and spices. But the fermented stuff is very overpowering still and slimy. I mixed it all together and bottled it anyway and put in the fridge hoping to kill the remaining yeast. Will I need to also pasteurize the mix and is it normal to be slimy. I'm close to throwing it out. Thanks for any help you can give me. :'(
Howdy folks, thanks for the great tips.
🍺🍸🍻🍷🍹

CraigTube

• Brewer

Re: Dumb newbie needing advice.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 10:25:57 PM »
The only part I don't know about is the slimy part. Do you mean like egg whites? Did you ferment it in the container the juice came in? I've never had anything that I would descrobe as slimy. Does it smell ok? I'd have to see it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers
Craig

Gene

Re: Dumb newbie needing advice.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 11:42:43 PM »
Hello Craig. That's exactly what's it like (egg whites). There wasn't anything looking odd floating around in it but once I started working with it, it did smell very strong and had a flavor like plastic. I ferment in 1 gal glass growlers. But I bottled it anyway and hope in time it will heal itself (used no pot metibisulfate or sorbet- just sitting in the fridge . I made another batch and bottled it today. I let it ferment (this time Lalvin d47 yeast) 1 week then added potassium metabisulfate and waited 24 hrs. then put in the Sorbate as you recommend in one of your videos. It was still slimy, tasted really strong and almost like a plastic taste again. I'm at a loss. I back sweetened and made it only tolerable, heat pasteurized it even though it had the potassium ingredients and again bottled it and placed this time in a dark room about 70 degrees for storing. I've thought maybe there might be something to do with my city water but really have no clue. I use dawn to clean and unscented bleach for sterilization (I rinsed the piss out of it. Any areas to try you might think of. Thank you once again. I really like fermenting, I just hope to have something decent to show for it someday.
Howdy folks, thanks for the great tips.
🍺🍸🍻🍷🍹